Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Loafing Around

The credit for this delish zucchini loaf goes entirely to taste.com.au. I have made it twice now...it is so easy and an absolute hit!

I love loaves that don't involve messing around with yeast, and rely on their namesake ingredient to keep the loaf moist. Date, banana and pumpkin loaves fall into this category for me. They aren't as unhealthy as cake and are great as a snack or for a morning/afternoon tea. I also love zucchini - it's such a versatile vegetable!

The recipe calls for 1 cup of vegetable oil. I don't use vegetable oil, so the first time I used EVOO, and this time (as I am trying to use everything up in anticipation of leaving in 1 WEEK) I used almond oil. Almond oil is expensive, but this loaf is a little more delicate and sweeter than the first loaf. Both, however, turned out just fine.

It also calls for vanilla bean paste. The paste and vanilla extract are equivalent in terms of strength, so 1/2 tsp of paste is the same as 1/2 tsp of extract. I used extract the first time, and this time had run out ( :0 ), so it still works without it.

Anyhoo...

You will need:

2 cups self-raising flour
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup grated zucchini (this winds up being most of an average to large zucchini - don't bring home a crate of them in anticipation!)
1 cup vegetable oil (see above)
3 eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (see above)
Grating the zucchini. I love this grater -
it is also a juicer and an egg separator,
plus it measures as I grate!
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon



Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm x 10cm loaf pan with baking paper.

Mix all ingredients together. Doesn't
get much easier than this!




Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined.

Ready to bake!


Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 mins. Loaf is done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 mins before cooling on a rack.



All done and ready to enjoy!
This is where I have to step in...I have now cooked this recipe twice, and there is no way it could be done after 50 mins. Of course, every oven is different, so I would definitely start with 50 mins. But both times it has taken 1hr 10mins, so be aware that there is a good chance it will take longer (just in case you are budgeting time).


The original recipe says to serve with ricotta and honey. I haven't tried this, but it is certainly good with butter, especially if fresh. It will keep sealed for a couple of days, and if it starts to go dry, it will revive a little in the microwave. The first time I made it, I used it as a side at brunch, and this time, I am heading off to a meeting (my last one at the music school!) and we often have snacks or soup, so this is going to accompany whatever we have.

You could add in walnuts or similar if you wanted a nutty texture, you could experiment with different oils such as coconut, or you could add in another essence other than vanilla for a different flavour.

Too easy, right? It's a one-bowl-wonder, no beating or melting or anything fancy...and it is fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment